£13.94 UK (inc. VAT) £11.62 Rest of World
Glasgow Trams - Part 1
3 in Stock
Built to an unusual gauge, Glasgow possessed the second largest tramway in Britain. Post-war extensions were built in 1948 - 1949 and the last totally new car entered service in 1952. Despite operating over 1,000 cars in the early 1950s, the bulk of the giant system was swept away in just over seven years, the last tram operating in September 1962. This DVD traces the history of the fleet, the growth of the undertaking, and the closures up to December 1959. An evocative selection of films (mainly in colour), depicting Glasgow trams. Archive footage covers most car types as well as Coplawhill Works and various depots. There are action packed sequences capturing city centre activity at different periods. Detailed coverage starts with the routes abandoned in 1956. Sample the rural tranquility of Damley and Barrhead, the impressive reserved track en route to Coatbridge and Airdrie, the high speed run to Milngavie, and Standards travelling out to Cambuslang. In 1957, ride the 'inter-urban' from Glasgow to Elderslie, catch the Paisley 'Goldmine' service 28 with its many short workings including Babcock and Wilcox siding, also the 5 and 5A serving the residential suburbs of Hyndland and Langside. In 1958, see the trams amongst the setts, smoke and ships of Glasgow's dockland, ride the 'Yellow Peril' from Bellahouston to Millerston, tackle the 1:12 grade up Shields Road, sway along to Hillington Road, and venture into the Gorbals. In 1959, travel the University branch, out into the select south Glasgow suburbs of Thomliebank, Rouken Glen and Giffnock, along the last major street extension to Carnwadric, north from the city to Bishopbriggs through industrial Springburn, and north-east to Riddrie and Millerston via Townhead. Special Features: Works cars including Colston and Admiral Street 'Blue Devil' 1005 'Lightweights' in action A bullion tram A steam loco and tram at Linthouse Also a rare glimpse of a Rothesay toast-rack.